Madison County, New York Genealogy
Madison County, New York family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you track your own Madison Co., ancestors. Begin by building a Free Family Tree.
Madison County was created on March 21, 1806 from Chenango County. This particular county was named in honor of James Madison (1751–1836), the early American statesman, principal author of the Constitution of the United States, and fourth President of the United States.
The Madison County Seat can be found in Wampsville and in addition the county government website is www.madisoncounty.org/
Regions neighboring Madison County include Oneida County (northeast), Otsego County (southeast), Chenango County (south), Cortland County (southwest), Onondaga County (west), Oswego County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Madison County consists of Bridgeport, Brookfield (town), Canastota (village), Cazenovia (village), Cazenovia (town), Chittenango (village), DeRuyter (village), DeRuyter (town), Earlville (village), Eaton (town), Fenner (town), Georgetown (town), Hamilton (village), Hamilton (town), Lebanon (town), Lenox (town), Lincoln (town), Madison (village), Madison (town), Morrisville (village), Munnsville (village), Nelson (town), Oneida (city), Smithfield (town), Stockbridge (town), Sullivan (town), Wampsville (village).
Madison County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Madison County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also New York Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County Historical Society, 435 Main Street, Oneida, NY 13421, Phone: 315-363-4136/315-361-9735
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Oneida Public Library, 220 Broad Street, Oneida, New York 13421, Phone: 315-363-3050; Genealogical resources: Local History Room The Oneida Public Library’s Local History Room contains a noncirculating collection of over 1,560 books, pamphlets, maps and genealogical materials relating to the City of Oneida, Madison County, Oneida County and New York State. It also contains on microfilm Oneida City and Madison County newspapers dating back to 1846, a complete set of published directories of Oneida City and surrounding communities and U.S. Census data for Madison County from 1850 to 1930.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Madison County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- USGenWeb Archives for Madison County (usgwarchives.net)
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Madison County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Madison County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 138 North Court Street, Wampsville, NY 13163
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Madison County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 315–366-2261
- Land Records: 1806 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1806
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Madison County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: 315–366-2392
- Probate Records: 1806 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Madison County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Madison County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: Box 668, Wampsville, NY 13163
- Phone: 315–366-2453
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
New York Historical Records
- Databases include New York Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; New York Birth, Marriage & Death Records; New York Voter Lists & Census Records; New York Immigration & Emigration Records; New York Obituary Records; New York Military Records; New York Family Tree Records; New York Pictures; New York Stories, Memories & Histories; New York Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Madison County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Madison County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Madison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Madison Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. NY Census Records
Madison Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. NY General and History Websites
- Madison County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Our county and its people : a descriptive and biographical record of Madison County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- First fifty years of Cazenovia Seminary, 1825-1875 : its history, proceedings of the semi-centennial jubilee, general catalogue (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some to its prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Madison County, state of New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of the leading citizens of Madison County, New York. (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Madison Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Madison County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Madison (cyndislist.com)
- Madison County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Madison Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Madison County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Madison Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Madison Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. NY Military Records
Madison Co. NY Schools & Directories